Congratulations to the 2023 ‘Building the Dream’ award winners!
For more than two decades, Wake Forest University and @wssu1892 have collaborated to host events honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
One of those is the annual ‘Building the Dream’ awards. Both universities present the honor to professors, administrators or students who exemplify King’s qualities and promote diversity within their communities.
Six individuals were recognized during a joint MLK celebration luncheon.
Wake Forest University award winners:
• Demi McCoy, creative program manager with @wakediv. Rev. McCoy has worked at the intersection of theological education and community engagement at Wake Forest University since 2014. As an artist, McCoy has recorded and published numerous musical works. McCoy has established herself as a voice for marginalized individuals and in particular, Black LGBTQ women and gender non-conforming persons. She was also honored for her leadership in supporting various grassroots organizations that serve youth in Forsyth and Guilford County communities and for her work on campus.
• Gah’ques Ligons: Sophomore, Pre-med track, Winston-Salem, N.C. Ligons is a frequent volunteer in the local community. This includes a program called A Bed and A Book, which provides a child with a handmade bed and upon delivery of their bed, the child is read a story of their choosing. He is involved in many different organizations on campus including the executive board of NPHC and treasurer of @wfu_bsa.
• Janeel Black: Junior, Health and Exercise Science, Frederick, Md. Black is the President of @wfu_bsa. She also serves as the Corresponding Secretary on the executive board for Wake’s Pi Omicron Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
• Nick Aime: Junior, Politics and International Affairs, Fayetteville, N.C. Aime serves as the Community Service Chair for @wfu_bsa. He was honored for his commitment and community outreach.
Winston-Salem State University ‘Building the Dream’ Award Winners:
• Student – Treshone Weeks
• Faculty – John Williams ...