All Reserve and National Guard Soldiers can participate in the ROTC program in order to be commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant upon graduation.
- Basic Training and/or AIT is not required but many Cadets attend one or both schools before becoming an SMP
- Monthly drill pay = Sergeant (E5) pay (roughly $265 per weekend drill = $3,180 per yr)
- ROTC Stipend = $350 a month during school for MS II’s, $450 - MS III, and $500 - MS IV
- $4,500 a yr Federal Tuition Assistance (TA) to pay for undergraduate or graduate studies. NC National Guard (NG) allows you to submit your request on-line the day you swear in to the NG. NC NG provides In-state tuition rates the day you sign up (waiver must be given to school before classes begin). Must apply for Fed TA before applying for State TA
- NC NG provides an additional $5,396 a year of State TA ($6,692 for graduate) in addition to Federal TA. If this is still not enough to pay all of your tuition and you want to stay in the Reserve/NG after graduation, you can get a full tuition/books ROTC GRFD or ROTC Dedicated (Ded) NG scholarship! You can also switch states during your career.
- Years as an SMP count towards active duty pay and Reserve/NG retirement years and pay years– this is a huge benefit. Example-if you serve three years as an SMP and go active, you will make more money than someone who took an ROTC scholarship while in school and for the rest of your career as well. Example- if you choose GRFD (Guaranteed Reserve/NG Forces Duty = those desiring to stay in the NG after graduation for example) while in college, you will make $659 a weekend and $7,912 a year after college starting out (in addition to your civilian career pay/benefits/life) and retire earlier due to ROTC years counting.
- $10,000 (99% of branches) bonus for Cadets after BOLC III if you choose GRFD/Ded NG
- 2 yr GRFD ROTC scholarships (USAR or NC NG) are limited/competitive. 3, 2, 1 year Dedicated NG ROTC scholarships (plentiful) achieve the same goal/amount of benefits. Both give you $600 a semester for books and your choice of paid tuition or room/board (on or off campus). 99% of students use the scholarship toward room/board because tuition can be paid by TA = a full ride! You must be under the age of 31 by Dec of the school yr commissioned
- Up to $50,000 in student loan repayment if the loans were before you joined the NG
- There is a new $350 monthly kicker for all who complete AIT – GRFD/Ded NG or not
- The NG now lets all (good PT score, PMS approval…) SMPs go to Air Assault school on their way to or from LDAC –, GRFD/Ded NG or not, and even MSII’s can go. Slots are abundant but could fill up.
- GRFD/Ded NG Cadets get a guaranteed interview with their choice of Fortune 500 Companies with the new PAYS program
- If you have an ROTC weekend training event the same weekend (and sometimes even the same month) as your unit training weekend, ROTC takes precedence and you also normally get paid for both
- SMPs get to have more opportunities and choices while in college, experience real unit training and have fun
- Health /dental benefits for $47.51 a month/$180.17 for family - https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/trs/index.jsp
Selected Reserve Montgomery GI Bill
The total amount of the Selected Reserve Mongomery GI bill is $10,368.00. A full-time student's monthly payment is $288.00/month for 36 months; a three-quarter time student's monthly payment is $216.00/month for 48 months; and a half-time student's monthly payment is $144.00/month for 72 months.
A student must complete Basic Training and Advanced Individual Training prior to receiving this money for college. This amount of money goes directly to the student.
A student can receive tuition assistance of 75% up to $4,500 a year once they have completed Basic Training and the money is paid directly to the school.