Baptist students awarded scholarships to attend Wake Forest
May 18, 2007
Eighteen North Carolina Baptist students were awarded the William Louis Poteat Scholarship to attend Wake Forest University in the fall 2007. Each scholarship is valued at $11,200 and is renewable for four years for a total value of $44,800.
Named for Wake Forest's president from 1905 to 1927, the Poteat scholarships are awarded annually to students who are active members of a Baptist church in North Carolina; have demonstrated excellence in leadership and service in their churches; and have excelled in academics.
Poteat Scholars show promise of making vital contributions to the church and the community during college and after graduation. The scholarship recipients are:
- Wyatt Allen of Louisburg is the son of Thomas and Mary Allen and a graduate of North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics. He is a member of Maple Springs Baptist Church.
- Elizabeth Bailey of Rocky Mount is the daughter of George and Susan Bailey and a graduate of Rocky Mount Academy. She is a member of Lakeside Baptist Church.
- Madison Barfield of Clemmons is the daughter of Randy and Lisa Barfield and a graduate of West Forsyth High School. She is a member of Peace Haven Baptist Church.
- Jeremy Bourne of Lexington is designated the Lynn Parker Recipient of the William Louis Poteat Scholarship. He is the son of Donald and Teresa Bourne and a graduate of North Davidson High School. He is a member of Reedy Creek Baptist Church.
- Emily Busic of Sparta is the daughter of Rodney Jr. and Sandra Busic and a graduate of Alleghany High School. She is a member of First Baptist Church of Sparta.
- Chris Edwards of Clarkton is the son of Tony and Vivian (Vickie) Edwards and a graduate of West Bladen High School. He is a member of First Baptist Church of Clarkton.
- Elizabeth Garrett of Wilmington is the daughter of Steven Garrett and Lori Garner and a graduate of Topsail High School. She is a member of Scotts Hill Baptist Church.
- Marianne Gendy of King is the daughter of Michael and Marie Gendy and a graduate of West Stokes High School. She is a member of First Baptist Church.
- Joe Hall Jr. of Charlotte is the son of Joseph Sr. and Leevone Hall and a graduate of Harding University High School. He is a member of University Park Baptist Church.
- Anna Harris of Cary is the daughter of Wayne and Susan Harris and a graduate of Cary High School. She is a member of Pullen Memorial Baptist Church.
- John Lucas of Rocky Mount is the son of William and Carol Lucas and a graduate of Northern Nash High School. He is a member of Lakeside Baptist Church.
- Adreanna Massey of Greensboro is the daughter of Kenneth and Sara Massey and a graduate of Grimsley High School. She is a member of First Baptist Church, Greensboro.
- Christi Milroy of Gastonia is the daughter of Gregory and Lisa Milroy and a graduate of Forestview High School. She is a member of Parkwood Baptist Church.
- Kasey Sneed of Winston-Salem is the daughter of Steve and Kathy Sneed and a graduate of R.J. Reynolds High School. She is a member of New Friendship Baptist Church.
- Greta Snow of Dunn is the daughter of Dwight and Susan Snow and a graduate of Triton High School. She is a member of First Baptist Church of Dunn.
- Zack Stone of Raleigh is the son of Thomas and Yvonne Stone and a graduate of St. David’s School. He is a member of Christ Baptist Church.
- Jeffrey Turner of Mount Olive is the son of W. Carroll and Sharon Turner and a graduate of Southern Wayne High School. He is a member of First Baptist Church of Mount Olive.
- Michael Whatley is the son of Michael and Katherine Whatley and a graduate of A.C. Reynolds High School. He is a member of First Baptist Church of Asheville.