Wake Forest forms Staff Advisory Council, group holds first meeting
September 6, 2006
Wake Forest University has established a new group on the Reynolda Campus to study and discuss issues and policies affecting the university's staff.
The Staff Advisory Council is an initiative of Wake Forest President Nathan O. Hatch to bring to the surface issues that affect staff broadly and provide a regular forum for carefully considering those matters. Matthew S. Cullinan, Wake Forest's vice president for administration, is chairing the council composed of 12 staff members from administrative and academic areas on campus.
The new advisory group held its first meeting on Aug. 24 and plans two more fall semester meetings in October and December. The group will meet at least three times each semester.
One of the group's first priorities is to develop a system for electing members and to determine operating principles. The University Senate's Staff Issues Committee (SIC) provided the initial membership for the Staff Advisory Council. All staff members who served on the SIC were asked to serve as inaugural members of the Staff Advisory Council.
Other immediate priorities include identifying key issues to address during the next 12 months and determining how best to communicate with campus constituencies.
The Staff Advisory Council's primary responsibilities will be the following:
- Serve as a forum for exchange about policies and issues affecting Wake Forest employees
- Listen, examine and respond to ideas, concerns and suggestions of staff employees
- Convey such ideas, concerns and suggestions to the administration
- Advise the president of the university or the president's representatives on all subjects that affect staff
- Inform staff of issues and policies affecting them
- Strengthen communication among staff and administration, at all levels
- Promote an enhanced sense of campus community for all staff
Staff serving on the council includes the following: Gary Alwine, Kathy Bunn, Maureen Eggert, Kelvin Green, Julie Groves, Donna Gung, Dana Hutchens, Lisa Lee, Sherry Long, Chris McLaughlin, Gloria Stickney and Dianne Weavil.
A Web site for the Staff Advisory Council has been established. Its address is http://groups.wfu.edu/staffcouncil. Contact information for the individual council members is included on the site.