* American Historical Association, "Careers for Students
* North Carolina State History Department, "FAQs: What
Can You Do with a History Major?"
* Robert Pace, "I would like to major in history, but...
What Can I Do When I Graduate?"
* Jack Rakove, "Careers for History Majors"
* Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation, "The
Humanities at Work"
Books and Pamphlets:
* Julie DeGalan and Stephen E. Lambert, Great Jobs for History
Majors (McGraw-Hill, 2001)
* Blythe Camenson, Careers for History Buffs & Others Who
Learn from the Past
* Archivist positions:
Society of American Archivists, Employment Bulletin
* Federal government: Office
of Personnel Management.This site lists all available federal
jobs, so job seekers will have to do a subject search to find
relevant listings. Many (but not all) history positions are
classified under the "GS-170 Historian" job classification.
* Historical societies: The American
Association for State and Local History, Dispatch
* Museum positions: The American
Association of Museums.
* State and local government:
use this list of links to check the web sites of individual
states and cities.
The National Council on Public
History (NCPH) and the Society
for History in the Federal Government also post employment