What is VPN?
VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a secure, encrypted, connection that allows WFU users who are off campus to access computing resources normally only available to users on campus. For example, Banner, shared folders, and printing are normally only available when on campus. However, if a user connects to VPN first, they can access those resources from off-campus locations just as if they were on-campus.
When do I use VPN?
Connect to VPN when you need to connect to campus resources from off-campus locations using either a wired or wireless connection. For example, to use the Banner from home, connect to VPN first.
It is not necessary to run VPN when connecting to these resources from on-campus locations.
Connecting to VPN Client (requires an Internet connection)
- Click Start > Internet Tools > VPN Client.
- On the Connection Entries tab, select wfu-remote-user
- Click the Connect button.
- When prompted, enter your WFU username and password
- When the warning banner appears, read the screen and choose OK.
The VPN Client icon in the task tray will display as a locked padlock once the connection is established.