Documentary and other Media Organizations | Film Festival Directories | Granting Agencies | Research and Archival | Intellectual Property and Public Domain | Documentary Distributors | Production and Technology
Documentary and other Media Organizations
- American Film Institute
- AIVF: The Association of Independent Video and Filmmakers
- Bay Area Video Coalition: Independent media arts center; offers training, facilities and rental, and online resources including job listings
- Corporation for Public Broadcasting: Funding and promotion of public telecommunication services
- Documentary.net: List of resources for filmmakers including production companies
- D-Word Forums: Public online forum on documentary film and virtual doc conferences
- Documentary Arts: General site including film/video, books, photos, and audio
- Filmwaves: UK magazine for low/no budget filmmakers and audiences
- Documentary Educational Resources: Production, distribution and promotion of ethnographic and documentary films from around the world
- Documentaryfilms.net: Comprehensive site for documentary filmmakers including film festivals, funding, etc.
- Frameline: Promotion and distribution of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer media arts; presents the San Francisco International Lesbian & Gay Film Festival
- Independent Television Service: Creation and presentation of independently produced programs, distribution of online "Beyond the Box Monthly" newsletter
- IndieWIRE: Resources for independent filmmakers
- International Documentary Association: Job listings, funding opportunities among other services
- International Film Seminars: The Robert Flaherty Film Seminars
- National Film Board of Canada: Started in 1939 by John Grierson. Makes and distributes documentaries about Canada, its people and beyond
- New York Documentary Center: Screening and discussion forums, film festival
- Ozonline: Listing of Southeastern US resources for film, video, and other visual arts
- POV-Point of View: PBS’ showcase for independent non-fiction films
- Public Broadcasting System (PBS): One of the primary sources for documentary in the United States
- Realscreen Magazine: The business side of documentary
- Screening the Past: International electronic journal of visual media and history
- Sundance Institute: Founded in 1981 by Robert Redford. Fosters independent vision in cinema.
- Women in Film: LA-based network providing contacts, events, and programs including mentoring, service announcements, internships, grants, and scholarships.
- Women in Film and Video: Nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing professional development and achievement for women working in all areas of film, video, multimedia, and related disciplines with 40 chapters around the world.
- Women Make Movies: Production, promotion, distribution and exhibition of independent films and videotapes by and about women.
Film Festival Directories
- DocumentaryFilm.net: A list of exclusively documentary film festivals and a comprehensive listing of film festivals.
- FilmFestivals.com: List of film festivals and other film related news.
- Film Festival Source: festivals from around the world, searchable by categories such as genre and country.
- Studentfilms.com: Online student film festival and student filmmaker resource.
- Yamagata: Listing of international film festivals by month.
Research and Archival
- American Museum of the Moving Image: Dedicated to educating the public about the art, history, technique, and technology of film, television, and digital media, and to examining their impact on culture and society.
- ARC – Archives Resource Center
- Combat Films and Research: A small, conflict oriented, think-tank that uses film and video footage as its primary source for research. Sends camera crews throughout the world to document military and political conflicts.
- Footage.net: The stock, archival & news footage network.
- Library of Congress
- Museum of Broadcast Communications: An extensive public archive collection of over 13,000 television programs, 4,000 radio programs, 11,000 television commercials, and 4,500 newscasts.
- National Archives
- National Film Preservation Foundation: A non-profit group working to save and preserve our film heritage.
- Online Film Dictionary: Compilation of movie-specific terms in foreign languages.
- Producers Library Service (PLS): Stock footage, movie clips and stills since 1957.
- UCLA Film and Television Archive
Intellectual Property and Public Domain
Production and Technology