Creatures Found on Tern Island
- 37 plant species live on Tern Island.
- 30 of these are not native and were introduced by humans
- The native plants are small grasses and herbs, and the introduced
ones included some trees like those that produce
- Only two reptiles live on Tern. The green sea turtle nests
there, in numbers over 1,000 each year.
- The mourning gecko is a small lizard. It probably hitchhiked on
a boat to Tern Island during WWII activities on the island.
bottle-nosed dolphins and Hawaiian spinner dolphins visit the lagoon around Tern.
The Hawaiian monk seal is an endangered species that sleeps and breeds on Tern and finds
food out at sea.
mammal species have been introduced. Dogs and cats have occasionally been
around as pets. Pigs were introduced onto East Island, another island in the French
Frigate Shoals group, but they did not last long. Humans are the fourth
This page was last updated on July 27, 1998 09:02 AM